How To Use Cocos2D-Xna Framework with Xaml (WP8) ?

Topics: Compatibility, Windows Phone 8
May 1, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Hi Devs,

I have developed a short program in Cocos2D-XNA , but I am Confused while Integrating Cocos2d with Xaml. I need a Xaml Layout for the purpose of using existing silverlight controls.

Please suggest me a method to Integrate Cocos2d-Xna with Silverlight UI controls. Any short snippet or follow through would be helpful.

Regards,
May 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Hi ,

There's noone here to help me, atleast suggest a forum where dev's could support me with this.

Regards,
Coordinator
May 2, 2014 at 10:59 PM
This topic comes up now and then, and you can see that by doing a search for Silverlight on this forum, on google, or on codeplex in general.

Mixing the GL drawing surface with Silverlight is not an easy task. Someone had succeeded once, and that success story is on this forum. You might try a simple google search instead of waiting for a volunteer on this forum to answer your question in their free time.

Good luck!
May 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Hi totallyevil ,

Thanks for your reply , I searched alot on Google , bing , been wandered around codeplex , stackoverflow and Ms forums but I got nothing. But I have heard that someone did silverlight port of library for Cocos-x-for-xna version but I didn't get any link , sample of that.

I would be great if you do KT of cocos2dx - silverlight version. I guess you are a contributor of cocos2d project and it won't be a difficult task for you to compile / modify xna version for silverlight.

Regards,
Coordinator
May 5, 2014 at 5:52 AM
The Silverlight version of cocos2d-xna and cocos2d-x-for-xna was never successful. Silverlight is not fully compatible with the framework because of how it handles the drawing canvases. When I worked on that port I found the core drawing canvas in Silverlight to not be compatible with how cocos2d-xna was drawing. That was over a year ago before WP8.

The subject of your inquiry was regarding Windows Phone 8. We fully support Windows Phone 8 - just use the template for WP8 as a starter. You can place WP8 controls atop the drawing canvas.
I would be great if you do KT of cocos2dx - silverlight version. I guess you are a contributor of cocos2d project and it won't be a difficult task for you to compile / modify xna version for silverlight.
If it were truly as easy as you think, then it would have been done already. Since we are all volunteers, I invite you to volunteer your own time to provide this implementation that fully supports a Silverlight-only runtime.

thanks!
Marked as answer by totallyevil on 5/17/2014 at 3:09 PM
May 5, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Hi ,

I am trying to installl Cocos2d-xna (v 2.0.3.2) using Nuget but it throws error like : "Operation Failed :- The remote name could not be resolved: 'az320820.vo.msecnd.net'" .

How do I use / install a Template for Cocos2d-xna ? Is it compatible with XAML ? Finally does it work if I pull it using GitHub ?

Regards,
Coordinator
May 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM
That error is beyond our control. That would be your own local network administrator who can help you with that.
May 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Hi ,

I am installing that Template on my personal laptop in my home network . I think there might be a problem with vsix at a particular time.

Well , Is there any other way to install Coco2d-xna for wp8 . I need it urgent , please respond.

Regards,
Coordinator
May 5, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Yes, you build it from source. There is no problem with the vsix files.