Learning resource suggestions

Topics: Sample Code and Demos
Nov 16, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Hi, there. I'm new to Cocos2d-XNA (and Cocos2d in general) and have started the process of learning this excellent framework. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on learning Cocos2d-XNA... any resources would be helpful - books, articles, sites, code examples, etc. I've got the Angry Ninjas code from GitHub and have looked at it a bit. Also, my Google-Fu has turned up plenty of Cocos2d resources using Objective-C and I'm currently reading through this book (I have Safari Online) and translating to Cocos2d-XNA:

Learning Cocos2D - A Hands-On Guide to Building iOS Games with Cocos2D, Box2D, and Chipmunk

It's not ideal since I'm not an Objective-C coder, but I can parse it without too many issues. Just wondered if anyone had access to other C# resources that would be helpful so I could be more efficient. :) Specifically, I'm currently looking for information on:
  • Using CCSpriteFrames / CCBatchNodes
  • Drawing dynamically generated texture in code. CCRenderTexture looks promising but haven't fully explored it yet. Scenario is I'm creating a world map in code by generating a couple Simplex Noises (representing elevation and moisture maps) and then generating specific colors based on those values. I currently have it rendering in a WinForms hack app to a GDI Bitmap but performance is meh... thus I'm here. :)
Any suggestions would be happily accepted. Thanks for the hard work on the framework, this looks really sweet... just have to learn to walk a bit.
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Hello,

there are not a lot of resources that directly target cocos2d-xna. the framework is mostly a mirror of cocos2d-x 2.2 so any book that covers cocos2d-x will work well. Unfortunately, most of cocos2d-x has been developed in China and thus its books are Chinese or Japanese.

We are here to help if you require it while translating the examples from the book you mentioned.
Marked as answer by ricke44654 on 11/16/2013 at 5:03 PM
Nov 17, 2013 at 1:02 AM
I figured that was probably the case, but thought I'd try anyway. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
Feb 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM
there are not a lot of resources that directly target cocos2d-xna
Can you provide some links?

René