Cocos2d-XNA or CocosSharp?

Topics: Maintenance, Source Repository
Sep 4, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Hi,
I just discovered CocosSharp project, which I see is contributed by Totallyevil as well.

So are you moving the development to CocosSharp, and won't continue maintaining cocos2d-xna? For a new project what would be the best option?

Regards
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM
We are not contributors of CocosSharp. CocosSharp started as the fork of Cocos2D-XNA by Mono and Miguel. They have since stolen the project as their own under the name CocosSharp. You may remember that Miguel tried to steal Cocos2D-XNA into Mono back in April of 2013. This is his successful attempt at taking our years of hard work and support and using it for Xamarin's "Indie" cross platform game solution.

CocosSharp attempts to implement features from Cocos2D-X version 3 and Cocos3D. Cocos3D is not interesting for us since we are already 3D. With XNA 4 and MonoGame we are able to do 3D games. We don't support the Cocos3D action models yet, but those are easily migrated to the platform if users wanted them.

By blending Cocos2D and Cocos3D, CocosSharp only adds more overhead and bloat to your game.

If you choose CocosSharp, good luck. We do not support that project and have no intention of giving them any of our work. As you saw, we changed our license to preclude any commercial use of our framework in non-end-user products. That means, specifically, Xamarin is not allowed to use our framework in any of their tool chains.
Sep 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM
Hi,
sorry I got confused because in the CocosSharp GitHub project, there's a TotallyEvil user as contributor. Then I supposed you were moving everything to the Xamarin project.
As I'm not a fan of Xamarin (they don't give any kind of support to Indies, though they're paying, and the Android components I tried were all bugged), I'm happy to stick with cocos2d-xna. I've always received great support here.

Thanks for the answer
Regards
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Yeah, I show up there as a contributor to that GitHub project because they started it as a fork of cocos2d-xna. All of our historical work will be shown in the history of CocosSharp. That's the only considerate thing Xamarin did when it made CocosSharp.

Note that CocosSharp bundled in the Xamarin Indie bundle is $25/month. They don't provide NuGet builds or any free pre-built products. You either build from source, or you pay $25/month.

We'll let history decide the morality of Xamarin's continued exploitation of FOSS.