Issue loading font

Topics: Android
Mar 20, 2014 at 3:54 PM
I have a custom font I'm trying to use in my android port for my game. The font is located under the Resources/fonts. The font is set with a build action of "AndroidAsset" and I create the label doing the following:

scoreLabel = new CCLabelTTF (Score.ToString (), "Resources/fonts/mycustomfont.ttf", 60f) {
            Position = scorePosition,
            Color = new CCColor3B (XNA.Color.Black)
        };
I get the below error during runtime:
Can't find mycustomfont.ttf, use system default (arial)

In iOS, I had to add the font in info.plist file to get this to work, but I'm not sure if there are any other steps needed for Android.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM
You have to use the new CCLabel class, not CCLabelTTF. The Labelttf class is reserved for spritefont encoded fonts. The 'ttf' is just a misnomer in this case.

new CCLabel() .... that's what you want to use.
Mar 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM
When I use CCLabel I dont get an error but my font does not get displayed, it seems like its using a default font.

The font is located under Resources/fonts/ and its set to be an AndroidAssest (Copy to Output Directory). Isn't there somewhere else I would need to define this font, like the Info.plist file for iOS?
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM
the ttf file goes into your content directory same as your images and other game assets.

Resources is for android-managed stuff, which is not used by the framework.
Apr 30, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Is the CCLabel purposely left out of wp7 version ? when i try to use it i get errors and have to revert to CCLabelTTF.
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2014 at 5:15 PM
Yes, we did not have a library for reading the TTF file on WP7.
Jun 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM
for android, i put my ttf font in "Assets/Content/fonts/name.ttf". so it will work correctly with CCLabel : new CCLabel( "string", "fonts/name.ttf", 22)